Re: (TFT) Long Term Play

>Thats if you keep going. The problem with the current job rules and aging
rules is that it makes sense to retire after >your first or second adventure
and just reap in the benefits of normal jobs.... perhaps a subtle social
commentary?

I normally avoid 'monkeying' with a rules system until I've had a
chance to play it and get a feel for it. But, if there's near-equal incentive
to get a job to advance as there is to adventure... well, that'll provoke me
to make a house rule change. I think there needs to be motivation to get out
and explore a fantasy world; not spend in-game weeks playing Career and
Paychecks, the rpg. ;)

>A good way to fix that, if you're having this
problem, is to vastly increase the stakes- make adventuring MUCH
>more
profitable than regular jobs, give fairly large XP bonuses, and so on....
it'll make regular work seem less >worthwhile, but just like the overpowered
jobs, it will result in quickly reaching high levels.... see below for how to
>have a lower key game without the normal problems with jobs...

I'd be more
inclined to go the other direction and understate job profitability than boost
return on adventuring. I could see taking a page from GURPS and pulling
experience gain out of jobs altogether. Have Job Table crits provide increased
income, and fumbles indicate a lost job or minor injury.