Re: (TFT) this new TFT like game popped up. here are some links. Mr 'No self control' bought a copy

On 3/5/13 8:24 PM, raito@raito.com wrote:
I can see it's time again for my usual rants. (again)

some how craft the talent system so that a person can get more talents
with
out upping his IQ
   A couple of people have come up with different systems for learning
more stuff without upping IQ, usually involving buying "memory points"
or buying talents directly with experience. The talent XP cost formula I
have in my head is (IQ level of Talent) x (number of points to learn) x
10, don't know if I came up with that or stole it from someone.
Don't like it. Don't like it at all. Part of the design of TFT is that if
you just play your numbers, you're either doing only combat (which is
fine), or you're having less fun than people who play their characters.
The only reason to have a laundry list of Talents or Spells is because you
can't figure out how to roleplay without using numbers as a crutch.

I must confess that I just don't see the appeal of having to have reams of
Talents, other than to be a munchkin. For me, part of the fun of TFT is
character development. Starting characters shouldn't be able to have
unpteen Talents.
Using the experience-for-talents system, you could build new characters exactly as per rules. Then as characters gain experience, they could start spending EXP on new skills instead of attribute scores. So advanced characters might not be that much stronger or smarter or more dextrous than new ones, they would just know a lot more things. I think that's a pretty fair reflection of reality. Granted I've never playtested this at all, so can't really judge it from that standpoint.

a magic healer subset of spells
Agreed. Physicker talent should probably remain the more viable/useful
choice for healing though.
a herbalist talent that actually does something
Maybe knowledge of healing herbs is the difference between Physicker and
Master Physicker? Still, that would be nice to see. I like the idea of
being able to forage for your first-aid kit.
Again, I don't like it. Again, part of the design of TFT is that healing
isn't easy nor plentiful. This isn't D&D, where permanent death never
seems to happen. And damage hurts and keeps your character out of play.
Real healing costs, and costs a lot.
And magic healing shouldn't be all that easy either, and Herbalist would probably be more useful against diseases than wounds, you might get 1 extra point of wound healing out of it but that would be about it if you ask me (any more is really pushing credibility, from a realistic standpoint). And in order for any form of healing to be useful, you first have to survive the combat...

No one seems to particularly like the charge-attack rules as they stand.
I do. Those rules help to make combat more tactical, rather than just a
bash-fest.

True, and I suspect most would agree. People just quibble over details like "how much extra damage should a charge attack do?" and "do you have to charge in a straight line?", hence my observation.

- Meg