Re: (TFT) spell prefixes (vote please)

In general I agree with the sentiment. However, I've often felt the same
way about the Aid spell!

So I always figure these kinds of "taste" issues (should something be
included that is *purely* game mechanic) is a province of the GM.

Strangely enough, I've never seen the game Sorcerer, but I *do* use a Color
College system of magics (from White Dwarf #113 and #114) that *does* use
colors. So in my fantasy campaign you can use this to pretend to be a
"Jade" wizard or an "Amber" wizard.

Not much in a "Classic" campaign, but I'll explain how I use it later.

Means I'm a crappy editor. The origional spell was probably "Ray of
Enfeeblement" and I did a bad Search and Replace that put 'Confusion' in
its place! Sorry about that....

True - In "Classic" TFT. However, In the Starleader: Assault! Metagame
Howard Thompson basically rewrote Melee for science ficiton using AP
(Action Points). I liked this much better than Melee and use it for TFT
combat.

Which means that while you dont have casting time, you *can* reduce the
number of AP's that a spell costs to cast, essentailly making it take up
"less time" (a spell normally costs 4 AP to cast like any other attack - if
you reduce that AP cost,  you can make additional attacks or even cast
additonal spells).

Actually, on Ty Beard's TFT web site, he bascially says (as an optional
rule) that "All spells have material components" and I agree with him and
use this rule. Material components are a good GM tool for game balance
("How much bat guano do you have left?") and bascially I just think
material components are cool!

So, yeah, it's definitely a D&Dish article, which I generally frown upon
(and I like the idea of Talents that do the same thing, but I don't think
I've seen them) but I thought the idea was cool enough to be worthwhile
including as a way to make wizards more distinqiushable.

Michael