Re: (TFT) Weapon Multiplier

From: "Neil Gilmore" <raito@raito.com>

So David,

Do you then allow these sorts of weapons to be finely-made?

Neil,
This, and the ones that follow, are well made points. In the case of the 'ten dragon' spear, I didn't explain my positon clearly. Sorry, I was caught up in the numbers. I should have said that I consider the 'ten dragon' spear to be just a version of a pike. A finely made version. That's what the numbers showed to me.

Also, what about weapons which have their own talent, which in effect
gives more damage for a given ST (like Naginata)?

Exactly. I am glad someone caught this distinction. What to do in the case of a Naganata talent. Well I considered the only other examples I could find. Thrown weapons is a talent that gives +2 damage. Unarmed combat is anther set of such talents. And Spear thrower is a talent for a device that gives +2 damage. Using those examples I rule that a naginata in the hands of someone without the talent is just a 1+1 two handed spear. Normal. With the talent, the way it is used does +1 damage.

By my interpretation of your presentation, you could design a weapon
which normally does +2 damage and +1 DX, costs 1000X(?) normal, and
requires a talent which gives it an additional +1 damage. Then
finely make it for another +2/+1 for another 1000X price.

Thus you'd have a weapon which costs 1,000,000X and (generally)1 IQ
pt, which does +5 damage and +2 DX, relative to other weapons of
the same ST.

Your interpretation of the way I wrote it is correct. My mistake. I meant to emphasise that the formula is used to detect 'so called new weapons' that are better interpreted as just finely made versions of existing weapons. Thus ruling out the chance for stacking up the finely made rules to get a 1,000,000x cost weapon. You went for exactly what I was trying to prevent. I don't think I wrote my conclusion well enough.

  David Michael Grouchy II