Re: (TFT) Weapon Multiplier --> Repost

From: Thorn <edt@dopey.ne.mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Weapon Multiplier --> Repost
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 22:33:52 -0500

David Michael Grouchy II wrote:

> >So if you are doing a bar-room brawl without weapons (bottles
> >or chairs), you are not engaged and can move about freely?
>
> I would say yes. Unless the character has UC I or better. Then their
> hands could be considered weapons.
> Something like this has come up before in another way. I don't think it > was addressed fully. Let me start by saying I don't think anyone will agree
> with this, but I feel it may be correct.  I don't think a character can
> strike an adjacent figure with their hands.  I think they need a weapon.
> I'm almost positive one has to engage a figure in HTH to use a fist on them.
>   But like I said, I don't think anyone plays that way.

I'm almost certain AM lets you punch and kick to adjacent hexes.  I've
been over the HTH/UCx ground several times as a GM, and I remember
coming away from the text wth the deliberate impression that it was
canon, not my own interpretation.

So back to JPB's question, unarmed unskilled combattants can engage each
other.  Otherwise playground bullies would be out of business.

That is my take on this also. Unarmed combat (whether with talent or unskilled) can be done in adjacent hexes. If yo want to wras'l or perform judo or stop a mage from casting anymore spells, then you engage in hand-to-hand (HTH).

Does this include Legolos jumping onto the back of the troll in Lord of the Rings? Would he have engaged in HTH or was he using the troll's back as a platform (like a rider?)

Hailmelee
John Paul