Re: (TFT) Crossbows Are Too Powerful in TFT or Longbows are Not Powerful Enough

> It's apparently so.
>
> Longbows and heavy crossbows fire a projectile of similar mass, diameter
and
> velocity. The mass of a bolt or arrow is around .35g and the velocity is
> about 40mps for he longbow and 42 mps for the heavy crossbow bolt. The
> crossbow bolt has a higher ballistic coefficient, which gives it better
> hitting power (and probably better accuracy) at a given range. But the
> bottom line is that the kinetic energy of both weapons is about the
same --
> 280-309 joules.

Where do these numbers come from?

> Also, the required ST for crossbows is way too high compared with
longbows.

I disagree. The ST required for a crossbow assumes that there isn't a crank
to wind it up. Pulling a 250 pound pull crossbow by main strength isn't for
the weak (yes, I've tried it). I've also pulled 150 pound longbows, and I
can say that it does require technique. Cranks are easier on the muscles,
but take longer. Remember the passage about having the strong guy who can
cock the thing for a weak person. It doesn't take that ST to fire it, but to
ready it.

Per TFT, you also don't get the fast reate of fire with a crossbow that you
do with a longbow.

> Of course, raising the damage of a longbow to 3 dice will make them *very*
> popular. So I suggest a the following additional rules and changes for
bows
> and crossbows in TFT.
>
> -Longbows require a ST of 13 and do 2+1 damage.
> -Heavy Crossbows require a ST of 12 and do 2+1 damage.
> -Light crossbows require a ST of 10 and do 1+1 damage.

> These weapons ignore all armor and shields.

That certainly wouldn't be even a reasonable recreation of what armor does.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com