(TFT) d20 TFT Campaign Update

I thought I'd update you guys on how my TFT heresy campaign is going.

1. I am continuing to use the TFT spells, with some modifiers to make
spellcasting a bit easier. The TFT list's unanimous condemnation of my
proposal to adopt the D&D spellcasting system stopped me dead in my tracks.
Here are the relevant changes from my system reference document:

ST Expended in Casting Spells
ST expended casting spells is akin to "mana" and is not fatigue and it
cannot be recovered except by a full night's rest. Therefore, track it
separately from ST lost from damage or fatigue. It does not tire a wizard
out to use ST. When a wizard has expended all his ST casting spells, nothing
happens; he just can't cast spells anymore. Spells that have a per turn
maintenance cost (summoned creatures, armor, etc.) can be cast in a special
"long term" version. The cost is doubled, but the spell has a duration of 12
turns. You pay the original casting cost to maintain it for another 12
turns. Calculate the effects of high IQ (see blow) on the base spell cost
and then double that cost.

High IQ And Spell ST Costs
As a wizard improves his understanding of magic, he finds easier ways to
cast spells and decreases their ST cost. If his IQ is five points above the
IQ level of a spell, he may cast the spell at one ST less than the spell
cost. Spells are maintained every two turns after the first two turns the
spell is in effect. If his IQ is ten points higher than the IQ level of the
spell, he may cast it for two points less than the ST cost of the spell.
Spells are maintained every three turns after the first three turns the
spell is in effect. A spell must still cost a minimum of 1 ST point when
cast.

Missile Spells
Missile spells may only be powered at 4 ST maximum. This is a balancing tool
designed to prevent the "one-shot wonders" who put all of their ST into a
single bolt and fire it at the biggest monster. Every die of a missile spell
after the first four costs two ST points (no reduction for high IQ). Every
die of a missile spell after the first eight costs three ST points (no
reduction for high IQ).

Components
All spells have material components. These components are usually minor,
such as a small ball of sulfur for Fire spells, a small bit of silvered
glass for Dazzle and so on. A wizard is assumed to carry appropriate
components in his clothing. If the components are taken from him, he may not
cast spells. Note that this will allow wizards to be captured and
imprisoned, a desirable thing in most campaigns. GM's may determine
component costs for spells, though most should be a few coppers per spell.

These changes have been popular with players and have caused no serious
problems yet.

2. The replacement of the 3d6 system with 1d20 has simultaneously made lower
level characters more capable and higher level characters more playable.
Everyone loves it.

3. The all-out blitz remains everyone's favorite. Basically, you can modify
your to hit roll by whatever you want (up to your AdjDX). This affects your
to-hit and your opponent's to hit roll. Add both combattants' modifiers and
apply to both. So Ug adds +5 to his DX of 8 and Brak adds+3 to his DX of 8.
They are both (+5+3=+8) +8 to their DX for hitting. The bonus cannot help
with aimed shots (though minuses apply). The effect is that big slow guys
can hit most of the time -- if they're willing to be hit most of the time. A
fun tradeoff for players.

4. I added real cheap healing potions and spells since my campaign is very
combat intensive. However, these only work 12 turns after injestion. So
individual fights go about the same amount of time.

5. Players still love the polyhedral weapons and armor charts.

Characters are now in the 42 point range, and the d20 system is still
working fine.

--Ty