(TFT) Fatigue: A Discussion - Part 1

first, my thanks to the folks who posted PDF versions of Adv. Melee and Adv.
Wizard!  this adds a bunch for those of us who have only played basic
Melee/Wizard.

Magical Fatigue - Part 1

Power
-----
because our group has only played the basic versions, we have made house
rules concerning fatigue, physical and mental (magical).  now that I have
had a look at the advanced rules, I still have a few questions.  I would
appreciate everyone's input.

for magical fatigue, we created a Power (POW) attribute for wizards.  you
might recognize this, if you are familiar with Runequest.  POW tracks mental
energy used for magic.  now ST more directly reflects a physical
constitution rating while POW represents magical.  each are separate and
easily tracked.  casting spells comes out current POW.  when POW reaches 0,
the magician is mentally exhausted and must rest as in the advanced rules.
only physical damage affects ST.  experience would now be separately applied
to ST or POW.  this also opens up new magical options (see Magical Options
below).

when generating a new wizard character, POW starts out at a minimum of 8 for
a human.  the extra points a player distributes are at +2.  this generally
means a new wizard will probably have a weaker ST to boost POW or DX, aiding
magic use.  since ST no longer translates into magic points, a beginning
wizard player must make some tough decisions as to starting their career in
magic.  however, this can be compensated for over time with experience.
warriors must be more mindful of protecting their magic brethren, which
makes for better party dynamics (IMO).

we have soaked this concept a good bit of playtesting, but only with humans.
if anyone has suggestions for other races, please do so.

Magical Options
---------------
Adv. Wizard introduced the notion of ST batteries, which we would now call
POW batteries.  what about spells, items, scrolls, potions, etc. that
temporarily drain POW?  IOW, after the period of effect is over, all lost
POW is recovered?  or how about spells, potions, items, etc that accelerate
resting (POW recovery)?  I'm sure some of you have already thought of these.
I would be interested in your experience of how it worked in terms of game
flow.

in the next part, I have proposal for physical fatigue (ST) for long
physical exertion.

David

since I'm new to the list, here's a brief background.  I've been gaming for
26 years in the areas of RPG, board wargames, and miniture wargaming.  game
types include historical (mostly WW2 and medieval) and space.  I have also
designed and playtested quite a bit over the years.  most recently, I've
been involved with Agents of Gaming Babylon 5 Wars and Fleet Action.