Re: (TFT) TFT House Rules

My goal is to
> slightly reduce the high level of character mortality, and at the same
time try
> to balance out the effect of having insanely high adjDX scores.

Laudable goals. Canon TFT is way too deadly. Combat ought to be risky, but
not this bad... Then again, maybe players should be in mortal fear! Bwah ha
ha ha ha!!!

> No. 1 - The Defense Roll. When you get hit in combat, you can make a
defense
> roll to avoid the blow. You roll 4 dice against your adjDX score; if you
> succeed, you dodge/block/parry or whatever.

Instinctual dislike for the idea. Not that it is unbalanced or badly done
(indeed, this is a very well thought out proposal, IMHO) , but it is just
too... GURPS... for my taste (yes, I do have "Blazing Saddles" in mind right
now...)  I have been thinking along the lines of consolidating this sort of
idea and simply adjusting the attacker's roll based on the target's shield,
armour, agility, etc. (still in work, of course). I think what you have done
is nicely thought out and has a certain "simple symmetry" to it, but I
recoil at the thought of adding an extra dice roll to combat, effectively
doubling the amount of work.

<snip>  rest of your well thought out idea (even if I don't like it)

> No. 4 - Separating Faituge and Hit Points. Fatigue = ST as normal, spell
costs
> come from this pool. Hit Points = ST, but only combat damage comes from
this
> pool. If Fatigue hit 0 or less but Hit Points are still a positive number,
> unconciousness.

Lot of people do this already, I gather.

> I'm also thinking of disposing of the hex design and going with squares -
and
> thus mega-squares instead of mega-hexes. Anybody forsee any problems with
this?

There was a thread along these lines a few months back. You might want to
check the archives on this one.