RE: (TFT) TFT House Rules --> squares, they keep coming back~ Squares!

>Hello  all.
	Hi (Name Unknown)!

>I've been reading over my old TFT stuff and considering using it for a new
>campaign. At the same time I've been considering some house rules and have
>tried to make them in the TFT style. Tell me what you think. My goal is to
>slightly reduce the high level of character mortality, and at the same time
try
>to balance out the effect of having insanely high adjDX scores.
>
>No. 1 - The Defense Roll. When you get hit in combat, you can make a
defense
>roll to avoid the blow. You roll 4 dice against your adjDX score; if you
>succeed, you dodge/block/parry or whatever.

	I generally don't like defense
rolls.  (This is not to say that I've
not played around with such rules in
the past as the Inept Adept will
attest...)
	However Dave Seagraves has posted
the ones that he uses to the site and
they are about the best I've seen.  You
can might want to read his house rules at:

>No. 4 - Separating Fatigue and Hit Points. Fatigue = ST as normal, spell
costs
>come from this pool. Hit Points = ST, but only combat damage comes from
this
>pool. If Fatigue hit 0 or less but Hit Points are still a positive number,
>unconsciousness.

	We do this in the TFT campaigns
around here, works fine.

>I'm also thinking of disposing of the hex design and going with squares -
and
>thus mega-squares instead of mega-hexes. Anybody foresee any problems with
this?

	If you wanted to dispense with maps
and go with a mapless TFT that would be
fine.  Whoo, hoo, dramatic GM descriptions,
battles taking place in the minds of the
players, etc.  (PC's occasionally frustrated
because what is happening in their heads is
not RIGHT...)
	However if you want to keep movement
on a map, hexagons are better technology
in my humble opinion.  There are reasons
that hexes have not been used in war games
since Tactics II.   (Slightly over broad
generalization here, but not by much.)
	There are some nice posts on this
subject in the archive.

>Thanks in advance!