Re: (TFT) Healing spells in TFT.

At 08:24 AM 9/5/03 -0400, ErolB1@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 9/4/2003 2:04:46 AM Central Daylight Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

> I hope I didn't give the impression I was saying my own tastes were right
> for everyone. I was just discussing the question I quoted, which asked what

> other people did for healing rules in their games.

Likewise, I'm sorry if I seemed to jump on you. I get testy, sometimes,
because I feel like the only list member who considers the relatively high
lethality of TFT combat to be a bug in an otherwise excellent system, rather than one
of the features that make it excellent.

Again it depends on what you want, but I tend to agree that the unmodified TFT rules are pretty severe with their one-point margin of unconsciousness. However I played with those death rules for about seven years until I started using the GURPS system, and although I had several house rules and many under development at that point, none of them involved healing spells or death-leniency. In retrospect, I would probably widen the death threshold to more like negative 1/4 x ST = death (or more).

A number of my house rules are aimed at reducing the lethality of the system:
Not just the increased rates of healing, but also my parrying rules, my
"Toughness" talent (which replaces Warrior/Veteran), and even my rules for
characters being knocked down when they take large amounts of damage.

Yes, the lack of good defensive techniques in TFT is another thing that makes it really deadly. In GURPS, it would be as if everyone used the All-Out Attack maneuver most of the time, and there were no balanced attack/defense maneuver.

PvK