Re: (TFT) Healing spells in TFT.

In a message dated 9/8/2003 12:34:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
cgadda@earthlink.net writes:

> What I am noting is the fundamental internal logic inconsistency. This
> exists in large measure because of the Revival spell, as I will explain
> anon. For the nonce it is sufficient to be aware that it is, I believe,
> impossible to come up with a *good* explanation as to why healing does not
> exist. And by "good" I mean rational and internally consistent. Sure, any
> number of mumbo jumbo B.S. reasons can be invented - you can just say "the
> Great
> God Goober the Mostly Omniscient has forbidden the use of healing magic"
and
> leave it at that. But that is not only a bad reason, it is really nothing
> more than lazy, unimaginitive GM fiat. More elaborate reasons may eliminate
> the "lazy" and "unimaginitive" monikers but the result is still not
> internally consistent or logical.

What are your standards for being 'rational, internally consistant, and
logical'? I use an "all healing spells cost 50 St" rationalization. Would you
consider that a bogus GM fiat explaination? Why or why not?

In Etan, there are two hypothetical and one non-hypothetical healing spells:

IQ 9
Hypothetical Minor Healing (T) This spell heals 1 point of normal injury. It
has no effect on physical St loss due to severe injury (being wounded below St
0). Cost: 50 St.

IQ 14
Hypothetical Healing (T) This spell heals 1d+1 points of normal injury and 1
point of physical St loss due to severe injury (being wounded below St 0).
Cost: 50 St

IQ 19
Health (T): This is a multipurpose healing spell:

If cast on a dead figure, Health will bring the figure back to life, provided
that the spirit of figure has not yet passed through the Gate of the Dead and
left Etan entirely. (This is determined by the GM - some spirits are gone
after only 24 hours, and some linger as ghosts for centuries). The revived figure
will be badly hurt, with injuries equal to his St score, and he will lose 1
point of basic St permanently. Missing limbs and other parts will remain
missing. If too much is missing or damaged, the GM may rule that the spell has no
effect.

If cast on a wounded but living figure, it will restore the figure to full
Strength and health. Maimed parts will be healed. Severed limbs will be rejoined
if available. Missing parts remain missing.

If cast on a maimed but otherwise healthy figure, it will cause maimed and
missing parts to heal and regrow. Missing parts will take 1 to 6 months to fully
regrow.

If cast on a diseased figure, it will cure the disease and heal any damage
caused by it. However, if the disease is a magical one caused by germs having a
natural Spell Shield, the Health spell will only heal the damage caused by the
disease. The diseased figure will remain infected.

St cost to cast any version of Health is 50.

No one in Etan has bothered to research the first two healing spells because
the St cost is too high. The equivalent to the second spell, however has been
put into the alchemist's Healing potion.

Now in a campaign where natural healing is harder and St for spellcasting
more readily available, these spells might be viable (especially the second one).
In Etan, however, arranging for half-a-dozen wizards to cast Aid spells or
spending 8 hours on a ritual casting isn't worth the relatively small increase
over natural healing. Someday, someone *might* research the second spell, but
it will still only be a marginal spell rather than a workhorse staple.

--
Erol K. Bayburt
ErolB1@aol.com