Re: (TFT) Why not GURPS? --> Because it sucks! (No, seriously...)

----- Original Message -----
From: "rsmith" <rsmith@lightspeed.ca>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 12:13 AM
Subject: RE: (TFT) Why not GURPS? --> Because it sucks! (No, seriously...)

> >My questions for the list are:
> >
> >Why do you play TFT and not GURPS?
> >
> >What aspects of TFT do you prefer?
> >
> >What aspects of GURPS don't you like?
>
> I tried GURPS a few times, bought Man-to-Man
> and all of the early supplements but it never
> really clicked.  Then I thought, "I am so wedded,
> WELDED to TFT, I'm not giving GURPS a fair chance".
> So I told my group, we are going to do GURPS until
> we know it backwards and forwards, and we can just
> naturally do it, like we do TFT.  THEN we will see
> that it is great."

Same here. When the first bar fight in my game took 2 hours to resolve, I
knew there was a problem. Basically, it's way too easy to get parry/block
rolls that will succeed most of the time (the optional rule that says your
parry roll must succeed by as much as the to hit roll succeeded helps a lot,
but then introduces another fiddly thing to worry about). Using that system
"as is" resulted in endless fights.

--Ty