Re: (TFT) Shield rush in Melee

Im sure I've talked about this before ... but what about cases where
you are attacking with a club?  If you want to treat a shield as a club,
then it seems that a club ought to get some kind of knockback
capability as well.

      club (crush) damage      DX minus        knockback
               1-3                           0                    0 hexes
               4-6                           0                    1 hex
               7-9                          -1                    1 hex
               9-12                        -1                    2 hexes
             12-15                        -2                    2 hexes

Im just throwing these numbers out for discussion, havent play-
tested them or anything.  The idea is that just getting hit with a
heavy crushing weapon (clubs, war hammers, etc) can inflict
a knockback on the unfortunate victim.   The table reads like
this:   If I do 8 points of damage with a club (BEFORE any
damage absorption effects like armor, stone flesh, etc), then
my opponent takes an adjDX roll at -2 to avoid falling down.
Regardless of the saving roll, he is knocked back two hexes
in a direction chosen by the club wielder.

Example:   Albert (ST 10, DX 14) is attacking Burt (ST 12,
DX 13(10))   Burt is wearing chainmail.  Albert swings his
club and hits Burt for 4 points of damage.  Burt's chainmail
reduces this to 1 hit, but Burt must make a DX roll to avoid
falling down.  Burt rolls a 7, making his roll -- but is still
knocked back one hex.

I suppose you could complicate the DX roll -- if you make
roll exactly, you remain on your feet but are knocked off
balance - you cannot attack next turn and your attacker
gets a +1 DX bonus.  If you miss by 1 or 2, you fall to your
knees.  If you miss by 3 or more, you fall down in the knock-
back hex.

If you can't be knocked back the full distance (you are up
against a wall or get thrown into a wall), you take 1 more
point of damage for each knockback hex you can't take.

I just threw these numbers out for discussion - I havent play-
tested them or even the idea.  But --- does anyone think the
idea has merit?

Dan