Re: (TFT) Shield rush in Melee

----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Tulloh <dwtulloh@zianet.com>

> Im sure I've talked about this before ... but what about cases where
> you are attacking with a club?  If you want to treat a shield as a club,
> then it seems that a club ought to get some kind of knockback
> capability as well.
>
> Im just throwing these numbers out for discussion, havent play-
> tested them or anything.  The idea is that just getting hit with a
> heavy crushing weapon (clubs, war hammers, etc) can inflict
> a knockback on the unfortunate victim.
>
> I just threw these numbers out for discussion - I havent play-
> tested them or even the idea.  But --- does anyone think the
> idea has merit?
>
> Dan
> =====

Well, kind of. Point one: I would not look simply at crushing attacks - I
can assure you that getting swatted with a sword, even if it does not
penetrate, can have a similar effect; force is force. However...

Point two: I think we are overestimating the effectiveness of a "crushing"
blow. Keep in mind that knocking someone down in standard Melee is a result
of shock from wounds and not the force of the blow itself per se. Also keep
in mind that a person blasted with even a 20mm cannon shell has about even
odds of falling forward as backward. "Knockback" as such is not a phenomena
one actually sees in the real world, though a person might well back off
after being stuck with a razor sharp bit of steel, hence....

Point three: there is an existing rule that sort of covers this on p. 18 of
AM under "Forcing Retreat" (top right column) which states to the effect
that if you put hits on a foe and are not hit yourself you can force your
enemy to retreat. A slight modification or expansion of this might be in
order, perhaps, but I would go no further.