RE: (TFT) Secondary Strike --> New triggering conditions.

At 12:06 AM 11/16/03 -0800, rsmith wrote:
Peter wrote:
>"You get the extra attack if your main attack roll
>is an even number less than your IQ, (or 14,
>whichever is greater)."

        Don't you mean, which ever is less?

Er, yes, sorry.

        Having it happen on even numbers would
make it occur too often, IMO.   A special,
unusual attack becomes pretty mundane if it
happens about half the time.

True, though it'd only happen half the time you
hit, and less if your IQ was less than your DX.
However, I'm not really satisfied with it, both
because it would be common, and because it would
only happen when you'd also hit with the main
attack.

        I kind of like the idea that it is
triggered by the enemies' attack.  ...
        Such events just can't occur in regular
TFT.

Yeah. Wanting such things was what led me
to want to redesign the game to be complex,
and then to switch to GURPS.

Maybe it should be an option only when your
opponent misses - it'd be hard (or, harder
to credibly imagine) to be out-foxing your
opponents while getting chopped up by them.
;-)

        All talents in TFT have a minimum IQ.  I
don't think that this talent should break that
rule.

I was thinking it fit because many combat options
aren't talents at all in TFT, and by not adding a
talent, existing characters wouldn't have to be
reconsidered.

>Another idea would be to add a risk to fighting
>this way, instead of requiring a talent that
>takes IQ points. For example, anyone could try
>for an opportunity attack if they rolled an even
>number below their IQ, but a 14 or 15 on that
>roll would result in a flub, such as:
        If you wanted to drop the IQ requirement
so low IQ figures can fight dirty, then having
some sort of penalty such as you suggest would
sit a lot better with me.

That was the idea - if it's not a talent, then
it should be balanced in another way, and fancy
tricks are risky - also as seen in Jackie Chan. ;-)

PvK