Re: (TFT) An Even More Radical Re-Imagining of TFT...

In a message dated 1/29/2004 4:51:04 AM Central Standard Time,
tbeard@tyler.net writes:

> Even if you guys don't care for the system that I suggested, I really do
> recommend that you try out the blitz/defend system.
>
> To recap, after movement, each figure that is going to blitz/defend states
> the modifier that he will apply to his DX (do this in reverse adjDx order,
> or as an alternative, let the side without initiative go first). This
> modifier will apply to his DX and to the DX of anyone attacking him. Other
> conditions:
>
> 1. The maximum adjustment is 1/2 of the figure's "base" adjDX (i.e., with
> armor and shield, but without wounds or terrain taken into effect).

If using "standard" 3d6 rolls instead of the "heretical" d20, I'd recommend
using a smaller maximum adjustment: Maybe 1/4 the figure's "base" adjDx, or the
amount of adjDx over adjDx 10.

I already use an extreme version of this in my parrying rules: If a character
has adjDx over 15, he may "feint", attacking at adjDx 15 and applying the
excess as a penalty to the opponent's roll to parry.

(BTW, I find I use the "roll against [attribute] with a penalty of opponent's
[attribute] over 10 (e.g. -4 if opponent has a 14, (or +2 if opponent has an
8))" quite a lot in my house rules, especially for "special" attacks in HTH
and elsewhere. It's a quick & easy way of doing "opposed" rolls or "contests of
[attributes]" If two characters have equal attributes, it works out to a 50/50
chance, and whatever the two attributes it doesn't matter which character
rolls and which supplies the modifier. And it only requires one roll, with a
minimum of game slowing "how much did I make that roll by" calculations.)

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow