Re: (TFT) A Problem of Time and Distance in Melee/TFT

At 05:03 PM 5/8/04 -0500, you wrote:
From: Peter von Kleinsmid <pvk@oz.net>

It's true that if you run sideways through the hex grain, you can pass through two megahexes for every 5 hexes of movement, but not if you are following the megahexes, as you must do on a map using megahexes that has megahex-wide corridors, which is what is being discussed when ITL talks about 4-meter megahexes on page 21. I think this would still be my reading

... your figures above are even more accurate to the spirit of TFT. Let's see what this relationship yeilds.

   5 hexes to traverse 2 mega hex
   5h = 8m
   and we get the new number of
   1.6m per hex.

No, it's only hexes per 2 megahexes if you go the short way through the megahexes. If you go the long way through the megahexes, which is what you must do if you are moving down a straight megahex-corridor with walls, then it is 6 hexes per 2 megahexes.

   6 hexes = 8m
   1 hex = 8/6m = 1 1/3 m

Which is exactly what AM says. This seems consistent and like the simplest and most useable interpretation.

PvK