Re: (TFT) Dinosaurs for TFT --> Rick's comments.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Smith" <rsmith@lightspeed.ca>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 4:51 AM
Subject: Re: (TFT) Dinosaurs for TFT --> Rick's comments.

> I worked up statistics for a few of the larger /
> more famous dinosaurs many years ago.  One thing
> I notice is that your critters are much smaller
> than the ones I made.

I used given length divided by 3 to figure out their size in hexes. If the
critter was a two-legger
then I multiplied the result times .67 or less.

> > Probably correct but the frill on a Triceratops was fairly light
> > bone (lots of air holes vs dense bone) with large areas that were
> > fairly thin. It was probably more for display than defense.
>
> My understanding was by putting it into
> shadow / sunlight, and adjusting the amount of
> blood running thru the bones, they were used for
> temperature control.

This was also stated as  a good probability/possibility.

> > Again you have to think of large herbivores of today to figure
> > movement, strength and dexterity. For them to live as many
> > millions of years as they did they had to have been very good at
> > what they did.
>
> I don't have a problem with the DX of
> the dino's.  Giving the really big ones a DX
> penalty attacking human sized figures might
> be fun tho.

Agreed and I know I wrote down something to that effect in my notes
somewhere.

> Most of PvK's ideas for rules make sense,
> but my days of the more rules the better are long
> over.  I would think carefully as to which would
> help the TFT system as a whole and look to
> implement a minimum subset.

Agreed adding more rules to TFT always seems to take away the one thing that
I like the
most about the system its simplicity, but there probably needs to be some
review as stated.