Re: (TFT) Starship troopers.

From: Rick Smith <rsmith@lightspeed.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:01:22 -0800

>Starship Troopers:  Worst Movie Adaption Ever.
>
>I do not see any problem with doing an
>adaption for the book.  For a long time
>I ran a TFT SF campaign called 'delta
>world'.  My only real adaption was making
>the combat turns 1 second so individual
>shots could be taken with a pistol.

I figured that time would need to slowed to 1 or
2 seconds per turn. 5 seconds would really be
pushing it with high power rapid fire weapons.

>It was kinda cool.  People would say, "I
>leap behind those bins for cover and
>while I'm in the air I fire 3 shots at
>him with my laser!"
>
>Then the action would begin and shots
>would be fired.  Combat felt like it was
>happening in slow motion as cascades of
>bullets filled the air and the PC
>floated thru the open area, firing
>one shot between batches of return fire.
>
>It required a lot more GM fiat than
>regular TFT, but we all had fun.
>
>However, building equimpment, space
>ships, weapons, armor, etc, etc, etc.
>was so much work, that my current space
>campaign is using the GURPS Traveler
>rules.

Yes this does seem to be the most daunting task
of the whole idea. Ships I wouldnt worry too much
about and if I did this it would be on a very small
scale to begin with to see where it goes.

>I would also be interested in seeing
>what you come up with.

Will keep you informed if I run with it

>Rick
>

>On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 18:04, rmorger wrote:
>> From: "Charles Gadda" <cgadda@earthlink.net>
>> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:42:09 -0800
>>
>> >Well, that, and the fact that in the original book the
troopers
>> >also carried small tac-nukes...
>> >
>> >Lessee, here... wow! Rolled a three to hit! That will be
25,000
>> >dice of damage, tripled!
>> >
>> >That will take awhile to roll up, I think...
>> >
>> >I would submit that there are serious scalability issues
here -
>> >perhaps an adaptation of "Aliens" might be a better idea.
>> >

>> Didnt say it would be a easy conversion and I wasnt really
>> thinking about using it for a full scale tactical battle type
>> situation.
>> I was thinking more along the lines of the small group
insertion
>> capture the brain bug and get out type deal or insert track
down
>> and evac the general who got trapped when the bugs overran the
>> alpha base. Keep TFT doing what it does best.
>>
>> As far as nukes are concerned why would you need to roll for
>> anything other than whether it detonated? since everything
else
>> was vaporized.
>>

>> Robert Morger
>> Pangaea_TFT Fantasy RPG adventure