Re: (TFT) basic training talent? --> Rick's thoughts

Hi John, everyone.
   My comments are *** interleaved *** below:

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 05:23, John Gfoeller wrote:
> A big part of the context is that the characters belonging to a professional
> military -- like the Roman, Chinese or Byzantine army.  Those professional
> fighting forces often (though not always) prevailed against superior numbers
> that often had much of the same technology.  The key difference and factor
> in their success (in my ignorant opinion -- I'm not a military historian)
> was their discipline and training.  Yet, how to represent that in the TFT
> game?

  ***
  Good question.  The short answer was the
CULTURE handed down wisdom, habits of
thought, training professionalism, etc.
They taught themselves how to create a
professional army and made the effort over
several centuries (with varying degrees of
success) to maintain those high qualities.
This is _difficult_.  Superior quality will
inevitably degrade with out a great deal
of effort being spent to maintain it.  Also
cultures with out wide spread, organized
agriculture have a hard time maintaining
large professional armies.
  ***

> As a potential solution, I have been toying with the idea of a new talent:
> basic training.  It would be an IQ 8 talent, costing 1 IQ point (2 for
> wizards).  It would only be available ... professional military.

  ***
  I created a very similar talent for different
reasons: Wizards can gain experience by staying
home and creating items.  Should not there be
some way for fighters to stay home and get exp
by training?  My talent worked well enough that
I have kept it in my campaign but I am not
happy enough with it for 'publishing' on this
mailing list.
  ***

> It would also represent the benefits of that training.  I've thought of
> representing this in TFT terms by adding 1 to the initiative roll to a group
> in which a 2/3 of its members have basic training.  ...

  ***
  That could work, but what I did is built new
talents such as Logistic, Scholar: (specialty
Military History), Scholar (specialty Military
Geography), Politics talent, Advanced Military
Strategist and several more Spying talents
which all represent difficult to gain,
knowledge from a professional officer corps
and military oriented culture.
  ***

> So, for example, a party in which 2/3 of the members had basic training
> would get +1 on the initiative roll. ...
>  A party led by someone with strategy would
> get +3 on the initiate roll  ...
>
> But, I'm just thinking out loud here.  Comments?
>
> -- John G.

  ***
  I think your system is simple and could work,
but how far does a +1 initiative take a culture,
especially when it comes at the cost of most of
its soldiers forgoing Sword 2 or some other
directly useful talent?  I would rather have
talents that tie into a less game mechanic
oriented advantage.
  However, I have a bias for creating hard to
get talents.

  However, musing on your talent, there are a
number of things I really like about it.  Let
us say that every culture gets a couple of
special "cultural specialties".  These can be
zero memory cost (as many advantages as
disadvantages), cost a point or two (for those
cultural talents that give a significant
advantage) or have a negative cost (for those
that are counter productive).

  A character in a culture is not forced to
take these, but anyone who does not do so will
be less politically popular than those who buy
into their culture's dreams and manias.

  A few of these cultural specialty talents
could in very few rules summarize a lot about
a culture and how it will relate to other
societies.

  Warm regards, Rick.
  ***