Re: (TFT) Rant: part II

At 04:22 AM 2/12/06 -0600, David Michael Grouchy II wrote:
The popular culture, the Zeit Geist, is one of belonging and tribal identity. A version of D&D of this day would have statistics on a 3d6 scale like "number of clubs joined", "chance of fitting into a new club", "ability to leave a club on good terms", and/or "ratio of successful clubs formed, to clubs I have made that failed."

I'm having a hard time thinking of a worse-sounding RPG at the moment... this one beats various ideas that come to mind from the past:

1) Nazi Death Camp - play as various camp officials, or as prisoners...

2) Modern Army: Logistics Staff. Set in any of various modern wars from the 18th to 21st centuries, roleplay the people who almost never see any action, but have to make the war machine run, by creating, stockpiling, or distributing supplies.

3) GURPS Riverworld - Every PC is Mark Twain. Every player has the Mark Twain character sheet - but which one is the _real_ Mark Twain? Compete with others to be the real Mark Twain, by giving the most authentic performance etc. This deranged idea was derailed when one player responded to the intro to the idea by saying something like, "Well, I win, because I AM Mark Twain!"

PvK