Re: (TFT) Rules bloat (was We've lost another one...)

One of my friends, who is much more involved in D&D than I, gave a favorable report of 3rd ed. I know next to nothing about it. He said there were a lot of changes that he thought were good.

----- Original Message ----- From: <ErolB1@aol.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: (TFT) Rules bloat (was We've lost another one...)

In a message dated 11/15/2006 4:08:10 PM Central Standard Time,
fuhrman8or@yahoo.com writes:

--- paleryder1@verizon.net wrote:

> I had a much easier time converting the old AD&D characters to TFT.
> When I recently tried to convert the 2nd ed./Players' Choice stuff
> to TFT, I found it much more difficult. These later editions of D&D
> start characters out with an enormous amount of skills and
> proficiencies (class, race, otherwise) and spells.

This is typical bloat that occurs when marketing people get involved
in trying to sell version N+1 of a product, even if 90% of the
customers are satisfied with version N. You can't make any more money
off those who have already bought in, so you have to push them to
upgrade.

You can ignore me because I'm just one of those sub-human Pod People, but I consider 3rd and 3.5 ed D&D to be enormously superior to the earlier editions. So much so that I'll cheerfully play & run 3.x games, but I won't run earlier
editions at all. (If offered a chance to be a player in an earlier-edition
game, I might accept if nothing else is available, but I'll do my best to
convince the DM to switch to 3.x. Not marketing, just a game I happen to like heaps
better.

Erol K. Bayburt
Pod Person