Re: (TFT) Twisting the Knight Away

On Mon, December 4, 2006 12:30 pm, Christopher Fuhrman wrote:
> I like your example. But, since if I accept the HTH initiation rule on
> movement, I could say that Xygor was beaten tactically at the end of
> the round
> prior to Kog winning initiative. Kog may not have a dagger. Xygor
> may have a
> main-gauche ready, etc. All these conditions come into consideration
> before you
> put your character in a tactical position. In ITL, there are the Tactics
> and
> Strategy skills that affect initiative rolls, so that sways things as
> well.

As I mentioned, I don't think that holds water here, because Xygor is in a
reasonable looking position, and gets no chance to react to the scenario
or position after the previous turn. The initiative system gives him a
chance to react if Kog uses a regular attack, but not if he uses a
movement-phase HTH attack. It's also aggravated by the way HTH initiation
from the rear takes essentially none of the figures' abilities into
account. I don't see any reason why an HTH attempt should get that
advantage.

> Ending movement on a turn such that a run-around is possible the
> next
> turn is part of the tactics of the game. I recall spending much time as
> a party
> in positioning our players, thinking ahead to possible enemy
> counter-moves,
> facing, etc. One of the NPCs in our party used Avert a lot, and so we'd
> always
> have to consider where the Avert spell would end up sending one of
> the enemy hoard.

Yes, you do have to maneuver carefully even with the initiative system and
normal melee combat, and with action-phase HTH attacks. But if you allow
figures to get knocked down during movement, they can end up not even
getting a chance to be cautious - it puts HTH in a special category for no
reason that makes sense to me.

PvK