RE: (TFT) Hex

Awsome Grouch,

Okay here's my thinking.

Geometry: A regular hexagon is described by a figure in which all
sides are of equal length and all angles are 120deg.

A hexagons angels must total 720deg. (my squat hex is 117deg +
120deg + 123deg + 117deg + 120deg + 123deg = 720deg)

The area is given by [Perimeter * Apothem (a line drawn from the
center-point of the hex to the center-point of a side) / 2 = Area]

The Apothem is the hexes version (IMHO) of Pi to the circle, or the
square root of 2 for the square.  It's the  irrational quantity (at
least for a regular Hex) that allows an infinate number of posable
hexes.

I have to assume that Mr. Jackson was talking regular hexes
although this is not specified nor is this all that common in
actually printed maps that I've put ruler to. This led me into some
problems. The main thing was atempting to inscribe or circumscribe
a "mega-hex" or higher for scale purposes. When I would draw out a
circumscribed mega-hex I ended up with "extra" area. However when I
would inscribe a hex of equal area over the mega-hex the damn thing
would rotate. This was playing hell with my map alignment. I
realised that if I wanted to stick to my lazy moto and be able to
use any map I could find, rather than draw up everything myself or
(much worse)randomize, then I'd have to set a couple of rules. The
first would be Map alignment. No matter what the scale, the North &
South directions should have hexsides and the East & West
directions would be on vertices. Sorta like the "white is right"
rule of thumb when setting up a chess board. Unfortunatly to do
this I found it nessacary to alter the dimensions of a 'regular'
hex.(There are certan advantages to the diminsions I show however.)
The second rule was to define "exactally' what a 'Melee Map' was. I
knew that if I wanted the thing to be easably scaleable then I
wanted the size of the hexes to remain constant, sorta like a
transparancy, while the scale of the map could be anything. I find
that I can pretty easily fit 10 1" hexes sts from the top to the
bottom of a standard page. I should also be able to get 8 hexes
across the page even with squat hexes. Call that a Battle Map and
make it modular so that additional Battle Maps can be added to any
side as needed.

The Scale Map is there for questions of size, reach and space. Each
1/4in sq represents 3 1/4ins in the real world. For the average
sized person this is just about the size of the palm of their hand.
No rulers required as there is, as you point out, quite a fudge
factor. If it fits in your hand, it fits in a square on the Scale
Map. How many coins fit in a hex? I can answer that graphicly. How
far can my figure dive across the room to try and grab the antidote
vial before it gets mixed up with the ice from the bucket the
blonde bimbo just knocked over trying to chase the 'Heart' of
something diamond? I can answer that graphicly too.

Just for clarification the RED squares on the Scale Map are equal
in area to the hex. The BLUE squares (drawn) are 13" X 13" or just
a touch over 1sq ft. Each square of the 1/4"in graph paper is 3
1/4" in the real world.

More on equipment/encumberance later.

I don't care so much what "Hex" gets used. IMO yours is MUCH more
accurate... I just wanna know what a hex is EXACTALY. If we all
agree on that then scaleing up is MUCH easier...

TFT ITL pg 5

" Not that other worlds aren't possable" The FANTASY TRIP system
will work for historical adventures on Earth itself, or for
excursions into the past or future of your favorite author. ..."

I'm SLOWLY trying to get somewhere.

P.S. If I can have/remember conversations in my dreams, while I'm asleep, then what does that mean for my conversations with you people?