Re: (TFT) Odds Question/Musings

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Sgt Hulka <hulkasgt@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You bring up some really good points regarding straight-up unmounted pole
> weapons versus unmounted pole weapons, though, something I'm trying to deal
> with right now as a Referee in Death Test against a player with two Pike-Axe
> carrying characters. The question I'm always facing is how do I engage
> without getting skewered. I definitely don't want to be the one doing the
> charging; I don't want to give them a +2 for setting. I've considered, as
> you point out, trying to rush up and throw weapons, *but I always worry
> about the -1/hex penalty and then having to waste a turn to ready a weapon.
> * So I basically just defend and hope they miss.
>
> This is the point of using the boomerang, it uses missile weapon DX
adjustments.  Just be sure your main weapon is ready for that charge attack
so you can defend.

In the campaign I played in we never were able to get horses for our own
use.  At the same time we rarely faced them in combat, none the less It's
also why the first magic item I pick up is Speed Movement at 1500 (with the
Running Talent) so I could engage a mounted foe on my terms (almost every
member of our party had a Speed Movement item, it made an enormous
difference to our ability to dictate the outcome of an encounter).

While we never got horses, our party as a group did finally get a donkey and
cart, you could not believe how much easier that made things.  That donkey
was worth its weight in gold.