Re: (TFT) Interesting re: Thrown Pole Weapons

The more I've thought about it the more I think David Miller's interpretation of this is correct -- a thrown pole weapon is a thrown weapon, not a pole weapon, and therefore does not do double damage on a charge. I agree I'd be interested in playtesting the alternative, though. Thrown weapons in basic melee are pretty ineffective.

Like you, I've been curious about the changes to spears. Like I mentioned previously, pole weapons are far more powerful in Advanced Melee than Melee. Maybe that's why they were "nerfed"? But if you look at the rest of the polearms, 1+1 should be the correct damage pattern. The 2 dice halberd is one slot less than the 2+1 Morningstar. The 2+2 Pike axe is one slot less than the 3 dice Battleaxe. The 1-1 Javelin is one less than the 1 die rapier. So the 1+1 spear should be one less than the 1+2 small axe.

I think there's room within the rules (and within the weapon damage to strength ratios) for a 2-handed polearm that does 1+2 damage, but it should be ST 12, not 11.