Re: (TFT) Interesting re: Thrown Pole Weapons

I do believe that, in general, there is a LOT more mass behind a jab than a thrown spear/javelin and so a jabbing weapon is more effective. Not many thrown swords in history because of this fact.

The 'main advantage' of a spear/javelin is the fact that it can be thrown, so it has greater range. It was always amusing in any RPG to bring up the fact that inside a dungeon or cave or building, javelins are pretty much useless as a thrown weapon.

The second advantage of a spear/javelin is the piercing and impairment ability. Like an arrow with more 'encumbrance' - If it can stick in the target or the armor it can really slow a person down. Arrows have this same sort of penetration effect, but because of their smaller mass and size, it is just the damage of the wound that is the stopping power. A bullet tends to do more damage because of its higher velocity causing more hydrodynamic shock.