Re: (TFT) Goblin port

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joey Beutel"
Subject: Re: (TFT) Goblin port

Well, it does depend on the RPG you are playing. I've always thought
Melee does a pretty good job of making people who are good or even
great be GOOD or GREAT, but not in a DND, "can't be killed by a knife
while your asleep because youre level 20" sorta way.

Even if you are st 30, a few hits can easily bring you down. Even if
you are DX 30, you can still miss, and even when you do hit you won't
always kill. So in combat, even the best can be brought down by a
bunch of normal guys. Which is pretty fun, I think.

Combat is a very strange thing.
I got to watch the UFC 118 thing saturday.
This is like the third one of these I've seen now.
Jiu Jitsu seems to play the largest part here, but it's not a good model w/o id-ing the frame.
#1 these guys are not average, nor do they draw from a very average pool.
A guy like me dosen't walk into an octagon vs. an average guy training for the UFC over even a few month period.
That's just stupid unless I'm planing to cheat BIG TIME.
Cheating brings us to #2; there are still plenty of rules going on with this.
This is not a street-fight.
Going with TFT covention (on ST at least) that around 30pts is a realistic max and bearing in mind the above I try and set the stats at the level I figure these guys are at. Being professional combat athleats I figure they are in the ST and DX mid twenties range.
But that is just their base abilities.
The real rub is in the Talents.
Learning a Talent (I'll make an arguement for a Skill system in another post) allows a Figures base abilities to be multiplied or otherwise augmented. A boxer trades blows from the middle distance and boxing Talents should reflect this.
To grapple a boxer is to largely reduce the Figure to their base abilities.
The more 'formal' the Talent group the easier it is to take the Figure out of their element so to speak.

RPG's get even weirder when one considers issues like being grappled by a very strong and angry hobbit who didn't like being refered to as such. A Flexable, Visable, Scale, Joe is a fold-up doll you make with a couple of sheets of quarter inch graphpaper and some rubberbands. If I've got giants or halflings or dwarves or etc. then I make a Joe Giant or Joe Hobbit or etc. A Scale-hex is a 1.3m sts hex or Battle Map-hex magnafied four fold, making each 1/4" square about 3.25" across, or about the width of the palm of most readers hands (not the horse measure of 1 hand = 4"). Half of the flexable man has hit locations grouped by head sized areas on down with artieries and nerve presure points marked.
The other half has bones and organs.
I injure Joe's.
uhhhhhhh....
Kung Fu 'one inch' punch ~600 lbs force; flying double kick ~975 lbs
Karate straight punch 800 lbs; side kick 1000 lbs
Taekwondo punch 900 lbs; spinning back kick 1575 lbs
Boxing punch 1000 lbs
Muay Thai grappled knee strike ~2200 lbs (~35 mph)
Pumphrey elbow strike or head butt ~2200 lbs (~35 mph)
55 lbs @ 35 mph ~2200 lbs
5' 10" 156 lbs ideal (139 / 173 range)
6' tall at ~165 lbs ideal weight by Hamwi formula. (147 / 183)
6' 4" tall ~184 (163 / 204)
6' 11" tall at ~ 220 lbs ideal. (195 / 244)
Pumphrey shoulder ram ~4000 lbs

Craig Pumphrey 6' 4" 250 lbs
Paul Pumphrey 6' 4" 235 lbs
Jay 5' 10" Notpumphrey 165 lbs
http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=675
(a discussion of many of the Figures involved in generating the above data and some of the limits of the measurements)

Now if I take data from shows like Mythbusters, Fight Science, and Deadliest Warriors (sketchy I admit) about deadly forces then I can start thinking in terms of dice. If the Figures base abilities define the range and the die-roll itself is a variable and Talents increase base abilities exponentally then I might be talking about solving polynomials with dice... "Conjunction, junction, what's your function?" =====