Re: (TFT) A Point of Damage

there are three ways to justify this:
1) Strength represents ability to keep going despite damage- a long, deep cut might stop a weak or even normal person, but a very tough, disciplined, well trained and experienced warrior will be able to take one or two of these without losing the will and energy to fight. This even applies to bad organ damage, as though this sort of thing will end up killing you in real life, all the time people keep going for quite a long while (at least on the tactical level) despite these sorts of injuries. And, in fact, if you are able to rest and recuperate, many of these injuries are even survivable, more so for people who are good at surviving that sort of stuff (and would therefore have a higher strength). 2) Strength represents the ability to avoid taking as harsh damage. A troll has more strength than a human, because a cut as deep as that on a human will be but a papercut on a troll, hence despite seeming to take 'equal' damage, he doesn't have as bad of a situation, because there is just more of him to kill! Same applies from human to human (there isn't THAT much variation in TFT, and only a few hits will kill even the mightiest heroes, but the bigger and tougher skinned you are the) 3) Most damage in TFT is either just a bit (representing a small, non fatal stab or cut, perhaps a bad bruise from internal bleeding from non-piercing weapons) or quite a bit (the sort of damage that could be fatal, more so if you aren't very tough, even more so if you are a weakling, and so on). One cut is probably survivable, as it will only bleed so fast and the damage is likely to be fairly limited by your own natural defenses, and if, for example, you are able to dress wounds afterward, a single cut is really not much to worry about. However, as those smaller wounds stack up, you are losing more and more quicker, your body has more to defend and less resources to do so, and you are getting faint quicker and quicker as you lose blood. A tougher person would be someone who can resist this loss of control to injury better than others. In TFT, this same sort of person has a higher chance of surviving hits that could be fatal to others due to this increased toughness.

All of these are basically similar.
Most importantly regarding your question, all of them ARE realistic.
My little old grandmother is rather fragile, and could quite easily die from minor cuts, a bad hit, or even tripping. A marine can not only live but keep functioning despite broken ribs, and even a regular person would probably barely notice the sort of damage that could kill the little old lady.
That is essentially how strength works.
Think about your question for a second- you are basically suggesting that beyond the idea that some people who aren't used to pain go down too easily due to the pain itself, that injuries are basically equal on everyone, that no one person is tougher or healthier than another, and that even if they were, it doesn't effect injuries. But as I'm sure you can tell your own self, all the time in regular life we observe how healthier, tougher people are more resistant to damage of all kinds- flesh wounds AND worse injuries.

And that is what strength in TFT is.