RE: (TFT) Wizard mods - out of balance?

> From: raito@raito.com
>
> I'm finding it difficult to reconcile your statement that an AD&D
> class with 66 available spells can be distilled into a single TFT
> Talent. Especially as such AD&D spells as Blur, Light, Darkness,
> Phantasmal Force, etc. have pretty good TFT analogues. Just that would
> appear to refute your statement. To which Talent do you refer?

I hear you, and I'm confident that the analysis performed is acurate. I'm not suggesting so much a spell for spell translation across game systems, as a completely different approach.

Let's take Bigby's Crushing Hand.

I could do this with a 7-hex illusion, maybe even a 4-hex.

Eventually it would be disbelieved.

"That Bigby guy, he's a faker" the campaign world might say.

So he summons a demon to do the hand for him and crushes the head of the wizards guild in front of a room full of IQ 20+ wizards.

And he does it slow.

So everyone can disbelieve over and over.

After that, no one disbeleives any more.

This is why the spell is known as "Bigby's" and not as just plain old "Crushing Hand."

David Michael Grouchy II