Re: (TFT) Howard Thompson versus Steve Jackson (and Pole Weapons)

Please stop writing "dule"! It's dUEl. Duel duel duel!

Good point about economics and simplicity of pole weapons. Also I think the length and possible armor penetration of long weapons gives something to think about for armored elites, both in reality and in TFT (and GURPS).

I like the logic of your argument against 2x damage but I don't agree with it. I think the actual logic is not about setting with a foot, nor about running momentum, so much as it is about the physical observation that there is a long sharp pole involved that is so long that in order to close to the reach of a short weapon, something has got to give, again, by geometry, as shown in the cinematic example from _Excalibur_ that you mentioned. That is, a pole weapon user has the possibility of holding the pole between himself and an attacker, forcing them to brave coming up its length, which could in various ways involve some major impaling.

--- maou.tsaou@gmail.com wrote:

How about the economics of a pole weapon ...
... dule from ... dule useing ... see if duleing ... in a dule ...
I keep thinking about Authur pulling himself down Mordreds spear to pierce
the armor that "no weapon forged by man shall pierce".
Of course that's still no basis for a system government...