Re: (TFT) Magic: illusions, cities

Jay,

The spell was Illusion (1 hex)
The wax figure was a prop.
It may have got used up in the spell casting or trampled under foot
during the fight.
Sea Devils exist in Marius's home world but not as far as I knew in
Thail.
Marius used the wax to practise on the creature he wanted to create.
It may have been more of a caricature of a sea devil than a realistic
figure.
(like a GW figure. :o)

If he has time, I describe Marius's Illusions as growing from a seed
component, rather than just appearing fully formed from thin air.
He keeps a number of components ready to use for favoured Illusions and
talks to them as if they were real people or creatures.

Also, he will give his Illusions some form of dramatic exit such as
dissolving into water rather than just dissappearing.
When your main tool is Illusion, keeping the mystery alive is vital!

Fish Guts are inanimate unless they are still in the fish...
That was the flaw in my scheme, but Dave let it through for the dramatic
effect.
I'm not sure if inanimate objects would pass harmlessly through an
Illusion or just slide off it.
I assume if you hit an Illusion with your sword that you will feel some
impact, but not with an Image.
Either way, there was a pile of stinking fish guts and a pool of salty
water close to the fight.
Marius's illusions have flavour!

On another occasion in Dave's game we needed a night time Recce.
Marius made an illusion of a bat and saw through it's 'eyes'.
AFAIk Marius doesn't know real bats use sonar, he thinks they just have
good night vision.
He complained later that his ears were buzzing!

I like to think that a familiar and well formed Illusion has some
independent intelligence and will act like the real thing.
Marius can tell the Sea Devil to fight or where to run to, but doesn't
need to move it's feet for it.

--
  Chris Nicole
  chris_nicole@operamail.com