(TFT) Experience for skills

I think paying EP for Talents and being able to exceed IQ total that way, makes FAR more sense, than "running out of IQ space" to learn talents, and the option of going to the Wizard's Guild to pay someone to erase your memory of a talent, to make room for more (though it is certainly hilarious, and could be kept in as a TFT novelty even if it were a charlatan service).

This was sort of in the house rules we were using in Thail when Rick was running that online TFT campaign, which I think is from house rules that are used by several others. It was done by paying EP for "superscripted" IQ, i.e. you could have a split IQ of 13/15, where your IQ is 13 for most purposes, but you can memorize 15 points worth of talents/spells. So when you spend EP, you could just increase your memory rather than both IQ and memory.

I prefer GURPS to TFT though, where skills are bought with the same points used for attributes and other stuff, and it doesn't seem to be a balance issue at all, there. In fact, it seems to make more sense and be more balanced and realistic when the main result of experience is increased skills rather than having the nature of the character change (by bulging attributes). GURPS though also tracks skills by level so there is no limit to the amount of points you could put into skills (also because there are many more skills), and the TFT house rules Rick was using also have multiple levels of weapon skills which were sort of similar. In fact in those rules, the best fighters were the ones with the advanced weapon talents, which tended to make them far more deadly and survivable than someone without them even if they had higher attributes.

PvK

--- joel.siragher@gmail.com wrote:

>I read on a TFT website, that I found in the waybackmachine.org, something
about using experience points to buy talents.