 From: David Jackson <azog@bellsouth.net>
To:
tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:42 PM
Subject: (TFT)
Supporting TFT with Nostalgia Goggles On

Oh, it's very realistic.  After a
number of years, look at this list, and it's relatively low volume.  The TFT
market has gone down to almost nothing, and I can guarantee that if every
single person on this list bought products from Dark City Games, it wouldn't
even be -half- of $30K.  Probably a lot less.

So, yes, it's a foolish
endeavor.  I think George Dew knew that going into it.  Most of the people on
this list already own those TFT products that they are likely to buy.  TFT
clones abound, yet none of them have grabbed any significant market share - or
even enough to even be a blip on the radar.  This isn't a slam again George
Dew, Dark City Games, or anyone.

However, it is a reminder to not let
nostalgia cloud your ability to see clearly.  Which we ALL on this list have a
habit of doing.

Personally, I still think that TFT is a solid system - but
certainly not in it's current form.  I think a version could be imagined that
would be better than every fantasy roleplaying game on the market now.  But
that would require lots of art, a few solid designers with vision, a lot of
time, but mostly - MOSTLY - a significant sum of money spent on marketing
(including a professionally designed website).  If I had $30K to invest in
such a project, at least half of that would be marketing alone.  The other
half would be art.

If we are going to "support TFT", we have to quit
isolating ourselves and get activated on some project which will further the
TFT cause.  I think getting mired in trying to make a business of it will just
slow things down.

David Jackson

On 9/10/2013 6:02 PM, Aki Koyama wrote:

"This is such a
> niche-of-a-niche-of-a-niche market, approaching it as a
business venture is
> foolish."
>
> This comment is just not very nice and
not "realistic" for the
> stated reasons.  As I stated above, if you don't
want to buy the products,
> don't buy them but don't insult the people who are
producing these adventures
> for us when they are aware that it is not a
"business venture" and taking a

<azog@bellsouth.net>
2013 11:42 AM
> Subject: Re: (TFT) Supporting TFT
>
> I knew that
> my
opinion would not be a popular one, but it is a realistic
> one.
>
> On

9/10/2013 11:38 AM,
>   George Dew wrote:
>> I usually just sit back and enjoy
> people's comments and viewpoints, but I
>> want to clarify something here.
>>

> Dark City Games IS supporting TFT!  If you purchase a game from DCG,
what
> you pay for goes towards the physical components, the artwork, and the
> stories.
>> Since it's inception, Dark City Games has lost about $30,000.

How much more

-----Original