Re: (TFT) Shield Wall - Defence bonus or armor?

I think you need to recognize the purpose and role it plays. When and where is a shieldwall used? For mediocre troops or troops with mediocre armor to get better defense when deployed in large groups. Well-armored and trained troops didn't really use it, or not in a way that makes us say "shieldwall" anyway.

In any event, overlapping shields seems to me to be a case for a Dex penalty - it makes people harder to hit like they're behind a wall. But if one does see and exploit an opening, the soft bits behind the shields are relatively easy to wound.

-----Original Message----- From: David Bofinger
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 7:17 PM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Shield Wall - Defence bonus or armor?

I think the idea that shields, shield walls, main-gauche, fencing skill,
etc.. all provide DX mods rather than damage reduction is a good one. A few
thoughts:

* Rather than a e.g. +7 mod I'd rather see attackers rolling a couple of
extra dice.
* You can't block a giant's club with a main-gauche. Nor probably even with
a buckler. I'm not sure how to handle that, there's a few ways.
* If you are using parry rolls then maybe giving bonuses to those makes
more sense. But I'm not fond of parry rolls.

---
David