(TFT) High level of experience. -- Rick's campaign.

Hi Edmund,
  I've not used the 1 exp per damage + DX bonus for a long time.  I do not
like how it slows down combat.  What I do is total the exp for the fight and
average it at end of combat.  I will sometimes take a bit away from a player
who did poorly, or give a bonus to someone who kicks butt, but most fights
people end up with the average.

  That said, the PC's likely do not get the majority of their exp in combat.
I have "time spent in play" exp, double every decade (so if it is 10 exp / hour
from 30 to 39 attributes, it is 20 exp / hour from 40 to 49.  I also give a
fairly substantial bonus (say 100 exp) when the PC's accomplish a
major goal.  I like to give people lots of chances to use their talents, so
if someone makes a 6vsIQ using Alertness, they get 30 exp.

  For a while, I have said that PC's need 100 exp to go from 30 to 34
attributes, and 125 exp to go from 35 to 40.  It doubles after that.  I've
played so much TFT, that I've gotten a bit bored with 33 attribute
characters, this gets people in to the high 30's and 40's quicker.  This
rule effectively makes the expensive experience levels 5 lower.

  One thing that I've done to reduce exp is risk rolls.  You do not now
always get an attribute for one.  You now get 1 attribute or 500 exp
which ever is less.  So after a while, people no longer get as much
exp from them.

  In a couple campaigns people could earn Karma Points.  (These were
gifts from demi-gods and the like.  They could not be made by mortals.)
 These are like a wish in that you can force a re-roll of a bad dice roll.
(Except  where as you can buy as many wishes as you can find, theoretically,
you are allowed not more Karma than your attribute decade.  So if
you are 40 attributes, you are never allowed to have used more than
4 Karma in your life.)  However, no characters never got enough
Karma to reach that limit.  I think the character who reached 60
attributes had managed to earn 2 Karma points in their whole life and
still had one of them when the character retired.  (He had used one and
was saving one in case of an enemy getting a bad triple damage, if I
recall correctly.))

  I liked Karma points, but I do not use them in my current campaign.

  Anyway the guys who have reached the high 50's have played their
characters for YEARS.

  I suspect that our styles of GMing are quite different.  PC death is
quite rare in my campaign.  PC's tend to play defensively and as soon
as they have enough political power, tend to have companies of troops
to do most of the fighting for them.

  However, even in my campaign where high attribute figures are not
unknown, no one has come close to the 35 IQ where you can safely
make traditional wishes.

  Warm regards, Rick.