Re: Dark City Games etc

That seems like it would break combat entirely -- to me it looks like you'd wind up with defensive monsters who couldn't be touched by even truly powerful characters and weapons.  I'd want to see some serious play-testing before I opted for those rules.

From: Thomas Fulmer <tfulmer1@gmail.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: Dark City Games etc

Dave Seagraves has a fairly well developed set of Parry Rules. The attacker chooses the number of dice to roll to hit (min 3). The defender rolls two dice more than the attacker to parry. Some of the advanced weapons talents give bonus dex to parry ratings to make it easier for higher talented fighters to parry.

So if you are attacking a high dex figure, you have to make "complex attacks" of 4 vs Dx or 5 vs Dx in order to get them up to a high enough number of dice to make them have a chance of missing their parry (6 vs Dex and 7 vs Dex in these examples).

I think people who have played under the rules have mixed reviews overall, but I found them relatively easy to understand and use. It definitely biases the combat system towards dex heavy characters though. It's not enough to be strong and have a big weapon if the thief can parry you 99% of the time with his short sword.

--Thomas