Re: A couple more Environmental Spells. - Peter Von K.'s comments.

If the spell were researched in my TFT campaign world, the larger wizard's guild houses would in theory tend to want to have someone study at least E Barriers: Weaken, as the guilds try to maintain gate rooms to as many other major destinations as the travels of wizards with Create Gate make practical. However, that use seems mainly about efficiency of effort and manpower (and convenience) since the same problem can be overcome by adding more apprentices and not using any IQ 18 wizards. If I wanted to reinforce the use of the spell in that way, I might give some other bonus such as a (not _too_ big) increase in the reliability of gates created this way.

Another thought of course is that guilds would want to try to research both these spells as permanent enchantments. E Barriers: Strengthen clearly would have use as a permanent defensive spell for locations concerned about incoming hostile magic from thieves or attackers (or rescuers, in the case of prison cells), and E Barriers: Weaken for gate rooms and summoning altars.

Depending on what you think is going on in the other Summon spells, these could affect them too, which would of course give them both more general application, though it'd tend to swing the power of the already pretty good summoning spells.

A technical question would be what does it take for wizards to detect tweaked-barrier zones, whether they're natural, temporary or permanent, what they sense and how easy it is to figure out if they aren't familiar with the spell yet. And WHEN does a caster who doesn't know yet about such a region learn about it, and what are their options or effects. (i.e. I would tend to assume they declare their spell and then get told the cost will be different, and then get the option to bail for zero fatigue but their turn is lost, or cast if they can. Seems good to make explicit because there would be other ways to handle it.) Also, trying a spell seems to be one way to test for such an area - but do you actually need to cast a spell, or can you just spend one turn per hex testing without spending fatigue?

Other technical details might be does the wizard need to be looking at the whole area he is affecting, and how detailed/funky/fractured can he make it? Only contiguous whole megahexes? Whole megahexes but then any single hexes can be left out?

Also typo "spirt" -> "spirit".