Re: (TFT) Dragons/Lords of the Underearth and the TFT system

Daniel Tulloh <daniel@jaws.greatwhite.com> wrote:
> I dont have a copy of DoU yet, but it seems to me that the "cumbersome"
> factor would greatly depend upon how many characters are involved in
> the battle.  For a small combat, one or two characters per side, it
> seems to me that the original sequencing would probably be ok.

Even with two characters per side, the number of turns that needs to
be exchanged can be considerable, especially if the adjDX values force
an alternation of turns.  Here's a worst-case scenario:

Initiative is rolled for at the end of the previous turn; P1 won
the initiative.Player 1 has chars 1a and 1b, Player 2 has chars
2a and 2b.  The order in terms of adjDX is 1a, 2a, 1b and 2b.
Each bullet below represents a move file exchange.

o P1 moves both figures
o P2 moves both figures
o P1 performs action with char 1a, announces damage
o P2 records damage, performs action with char 2a, announces damage
o P1 records damage, performs action with char 1b, announces damage
o P2 records damage, performs action with char 2b, announces damage
o P1 records damage, rolls for initiative.

That's 7 file exchanges for a 10-second turn!  Under the QCS, it would
work like this:

o P1 moves both figures
o P2 moves both figures, performs actions with 2a and 2b, announces damage
o P1 records damage, performs actions with 2a and 2b, announces damage
o P2 records damage, rolls for initiative.

It doesn't seem like a whole lot, but over the course of a game, this can
get to be a bit much, especially in a Microquest where P1 is running 4
characters, and there are multiple monsters being run by P2.  In the regular
sequencing, each char adds another exchange to the turn; the QCS will always
keep the turn at 4 moves.

        Joe Hartley - jh@brainiac.com - brainiac services, inc
 PO Box 5069 : Greene, RI : 02827 - vox 401.539.9050 : fax 401.539.2070