Re: (TFT) TFT "Collectables"?

Philip Wiles at PAW@merichem.com on 7/14/98 8:33 AM said:

>What is the deal with some of the outrageous pricing I've seen on TFT
>items?  I just saw a bid for $20 on a (NM) copy of Wizard where the next
>highest bid was $10 and the one prior to that was $5.

Welcome to the merry world of the internet auction, where prices have
nothing whatsoever to do with reality. As a toy collector, I've been
seeing this for over a year now, and it was bound to hit the used game
market eventually. Folks put something on ebay, and immediately some
idiot thinks it's a "valuable collectable" and bids the price up out of
the reach of common reality. I see commonly-available toys put on ebay
all the time and watch them draw prices that are two to five times what
the same item can be found for at your local Kay-Bee or We-Be-Toyz.

The auction mentality tends to have nothing to do with any real value.
It's something that we're going to have to learn to live with. Caveat
emptor!

Guy McLimore / guymc@evansville.net
MC+ Creations Game Design and Consulting
http://bounce.to/mcplus