Re: copywrong (was Re: (TFT) "Home Rule" updates)

Small inclusions from articles for the purpose of discussion is allowed under
fair use. Small meaning a paragraph at most. Inclusion of shipboard combat
rules is not fair use.

It really doesn't matter what motives one has in posting this stuff on this
list. The fact is that the original owner still owns the material and can do
with it as they please. If they don't want it published, that is their
decision, not anyone elses. It ends there.

On the matter of payment for magazine articles, it all depends on the rights
that the magazine bought. Did they buy all rights or just first rights. I know
from my dealings with SJGames on Roleplayer and Pyramid that they usually buy
first rights.  So, the question becomes, "Do the authors or the publisher own
the rights."

What I would like to see is for someone or some group to contact the authors
and discuss with them the possibility of publishing the material on the web.
Now, if the publisher owns the rights, then it will be harder to get permission
as this is Howard isn't it, and he's vanished.
---
Brett Slocum -- slocum@nospam.io.com            | Geek Code: B--- US+ TF+++ GM++
GURPS: http://www.io.com/~slocum/gurps.html     | **TM F+++++ MA++ FP PA+ WP+++
Tekumel: http://www.io.com/~slocum/tekumel.html | AB++++ PI+ I++ UF+++ D+++
MiB 0666 - Minneapolis Cell Leader              | TV++++ V- A DM+ SB JW++ M TP
"In your presence even my shadow acquires the sensation of touch." -- The Surrealist Compliment Generator