Re: (TFT) Appropriate use of copyrighted material

>Sender: owner-tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Appropriate use of copyrighted material
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 08:39:52 -0600
x-mailer: Claris Emailer 2.0v3, January 22, 1998
From: Guy McLimore <guymc@evansville.net>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sender: tft-owner@brainiac.com

Michael Taylor at MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com on 12/30/98 8:24 PM said:

Guy McLimore said:

>>But my real question is, why would you WANT to appropriate Melee (or any
>>game by another designer) for a computer-based game by filing theserial
>>numbers off, even if it was legal to do so?
>>
>>#1: Profiting from someone else's work and putting your name on it,
>>even if you can get away with it, is morally reprehensible.

Michael Taylor replied:

Then I apologize for misreading you.

WRONG!

That's my point - it would be illegal yes. But it would NOT be WRONG! Wrong
is a completely subjective 'moral' value. We try to make our laws follow
the best 'moral' solutions we can, but they are rarely perfect. Copyright,
patent and fair use are only one example where the laws do not necessarily
provide the 'right' result.

Legally yes, but if the person did it out a labor of love and charged a
minimal $1 fee to see it - do you really think they should be denied that
because they don't legally own the rights to Melee?

>like "DOOM" means a computerized version of Melee would be useless?
Hardly.
Then again - I apologize.

Yes, but this is just as easily a matter of emailing it to a friend,
pausing in the middle of a game for pizza without ruining the components,
cross-referencing the weapon statistics, etc. In other words, what we CANT
do easily with pencil and paper doesnt HAVE to affect the rules. We can
enhance the game without messing with the rules which are quite good.

According to your logical we wouldn't have Word Processors or
Spellcheckers! We can do both easily with pencil and paper, but both gain
OTHER enhancements besides changing the rules.

This *might* be more interesting. But - as GURPS has shown us - it might
also be deadly dull.

Reverse the question. Why redesign Melee when it's already been done better
than I could do it? So what if it's MY game design? I'm not interested in
the game design part of it (except as far as using the best design I can
find). I'm interested in creating the best PROGRAM for it. Why would I
deliberately cripple my program by using an inferior game design (my own)?
So what if it's someone else's game - it would still (and legally SHOULD)
be MY program! That's what fair use is supposed to be all about.

Remember, the current copyright laws are NOT protecting the origional
author! They're protecting Howard Thompson - who didn't even DESIGN Melee!

Sidebar: In addition to generating a lot of lousy software, this philosophy
is one of the reasons that movies are so bad. Everyone who works in movies
is taught not to specialize, but to do it all. Therefore, few of them learn
to master any one discipline. If you see in the credits "Writer/Director" -
beware!

it.

No, I dont think it's the same thing at all. I think 'fair use' has to
encompass the wide variety of ways an intellectual property might be used.
If I want to make a copy of "Rainbow Six" to read on my pilot on the bus on
the way to work, right now that's illegal. That's a lot different than
putting it in shrinkwrap and trying to sell it at Fry's.

I don't think we should be able to make a commerical version of Melee for
sale at Egghead, but neither do I think that we should be legally
processecuted for making an internet version of Melee. Or even a
'collectors edition' of ITL for sale on the internet. Or a collection of
TFT chemistry rules....

No, these distinctions don't boil down to simple "This use is wrong - this
use is right" soundbites. It goes back to the origional intent of the law -
to promote innovation and to protect the creator of an oriigonal work to
profit from their work. NEITHER intent of which is being served by the
current legal snafu with Howard Thompson and Melee!

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not going to DO anything about it. It's a
interesting discussion, but far to complex to be resolved without YEARS of
appropriate lawsuits. I'm not interested in being involved with that.

But as a discussion, it seems obvious that even if you feel doing something
illegal is also "wrong" (I don't), then wouldn't you still have to admit
that the tangle involved with Melee is far less that clear-cut.

I don't question whether you OWN the rights. I question whether the rights
should belong to the owner or the creator!

But

I may have missed the point. Is the point that it's illegal? I know that.
But you keep saying it's WRONG! And no amount of it's being illegal is
going to make it WRONG!

In other words - just because you want to write a 'game-world' supplement,
you ALSO have to write the game rules? Why? You've written game worlds
without having written the origonal rules? Was that WRONG? It wouldn've
been illegal without the proper permissions - but would it have been WRONG?
I personally don't think so. That's all I'm saying.

Of course it's not - but neither was Melee (see Jean's email earlier).

I think that Japan seem to have the right idea (though I'm not an expert on
it by any means). They seem to draw a line between 'fan-based' creations
and 'commerical' creations that allow a certain amount of copyright
violation in the spirit of common sense that our laws don't seem to have.

Michael

====Post to the entire list by writing to tft@brainiac.com.