Re: (TFT) Conan & Parrying or defence

I think Mack is really on to something. This is simple for the GM (the players have to make the descision on their character's aggressiveness) and it allows flexability for the players. K.I.S.S. I always say. You could also add an all out attack option where a shield user forgoes the defensive ability (hits stopped by the shield) in order to gain a DX plus on his next attack. Note: as a GM I would not allow this adjusted DX make the character faster, just make it easier for him to hit his foe.
These are some good options for players.

Sleeper (old TFT player reawaking) - Jim

Mack Brewer wrote:

on the subject of parrying:

I've played around with allowing the players to allocate
their attacking skill(dex roll) as follows:
Each round of combat the player decides how aggressive
they will be and this influences their attack roll.
Ex/ character is using a sword and has a base attack roll
of 15 or less to hit. First round he's fighting "normally" and
makes his roll and hits but gets hit back even harder, making
him more cautious.
Round 2 he decides to go on the defensive to protect himself
from another such blow and only rolls vs. 11 or less for his attack,
keeping back a -4 dex penalty vs. his attacker connecting.
(note- I limited the "defensive" points to 1/4 of their Dex total to
avoid situations where they used excessive defensive points and
just stood there invincible on defence for the whole combat. Didn't
happen but have to plan for it)
so, basically, the player can shift up to 1/4 of his character's attack roll
(adj. dex + weapon skill or adjusted dex roll to hit) back to defence on
a round by round basis depending upon their own aggressiveness and
how powerfull their opponent looks. This just represents being more
cautious and more aggressively parrying their blows at the expense of
reducing your opportunity to attack. (hence the lessened attk roll)
So, Conan, was just so damn GOOD with his weapon that he had points to
spare for both attack and defence.
...awaiting comments and suggestions

Mack Brewer
(old TFT player slowly resurfacing)