Re: (TFT) on running a pbem game

>"grabowski" <grabowski@erols.com> wrote:
>> Joe,
>> Although I would be interested, who amongst us would have time to GM a
PbEM
>> game.
>
>there is that, isn't there :)

I don't know about running any microquests or modules via the net and I
haven't
tried that online game playing site yet that was mentioned quite a while
ago,
but I have run/moderated a simple TFT based pbm game before for half a dozen
of my old gaming buddies.
We did up their character for a solo pbm campaign and then I generated a
history
of their family and how they decided to set out as an "adventurer". I mailed
them
back with their starting location and any travel info they picked up en
route there,
as well as any aquaintances (npc's) they have met that may be interested in
joining
them to form a band of adventurers. The player runs the character and party
as
leader but isn't given ALL the data on the npc's. They search out rumours
and look
for quests (etc) and the player submits all turns on 1-3 pages freestyle
text.

I do all my "GM" stuff and run any combat myself or with the help of friends
here and
their turn results go back as a story narrative. Each turn basically becomes
a chapter
in a book about their character and comrades.
I have the player fill out some short notes for me on basic combat tactics
and options
they'd use in different situations and then we're off and running.

All players start in the same campaign world but usually seperated by 1 week
or more
of travel time. Part of the fun is gathering rumours and info about these
"competitors"
out running around and maybe meeting them from time to time.
(takes good co-ordination from the players to run a combined group turn
though if they
want to team up to take on something really BIG)

If anyone is interested in this style of pbem campaign just let me know and
I'll see about
posting a sample startup and a few turns to the list (with permission) so
you can get a
feel for the type of turns and results. I only have one more short sailing
trip I have to do
this fall and look forward to 2-3 years of life on land once more with
actual time to game
and play again.

Mack Brewer
(old slowly resurfacing player and longtime GM)