(TFT) Copyright (was: What's AP)

At 4:38 PM -0400 7/15/99, grabowski wrote:
Here's another question for you legal eagles out there.  How long does a
copyright last?

From the December 1998 issue "Association of Professional Genealogists Quarterly", summarizing the question "When Does Copyright Protection Expire":

1) Public domain seventy years after the author dies if created after January 1, 1978 (published or unpublished).

2) Public domain after ninety-five years if it is a work made for hire after January 1, 1978.

And a bunch of special cases for work created and/or published before January 1, 1978.

Taking a look at a ITL I have on my bookcase, it says copyright 1980, so it might have been created before 1978. Assuming it was written after Jan. 1, 1978 then public domain ~2073.

There is a small chance that some part of TFT falls in one of the special cases where it was created before Jan. 1, 1978 and published after that date then it might public domain in 2047, but again not very interesting. The only interesting case is if something was published before January 1, 1978, then only 28 years if not renewed, so no later than 2006 (but if not renewed).

So basically forget about any part of TFT falling in the public domain (certainly not enough to be interesting), no one who cares will be alive or interested when it does. [Of course this is not to be taken as legal advice, I am not a lawyer, I do not have a law degree, Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.]

Michael