(TFT) "Justin" case

John Paul wrote:

<<<<<That is one reason why I don't create sanctioned D&D characters.  Who
wants
to *roll* up a character.  I envision my persona and then make my stats fit
the concept.
Also, remembering which character has a handicap is about a easy for the GM
to remember as which guy has naturalist or recognize value.  I constantly
forget to *give* the players the advantage they are supposed to have, so it
goes both ways.
If the player is stupid enough to create an unplayable character and the GM
lets that character into the game, then you are either *really* good role
players or you're really atrocious gamers.  But keep in mind, that "old,
fat, blind hemophiliac fighter" could be 'Sir Cocomo Joe, legendary NPC of
past campaigns who the players have to escort to the king.  Maybe the player
characters are responsible for keeping this tottering Quixote out of
combat.>>>>>

Remember, I stated:

In the past week, the list has been writing about realism, "How
>realistic is it to have a (lots of adjectives)
>old, fat, blind, hemophiliac fighter in combat?"  The only thing
>it does is lend itself to roleplaying and interesting characters.>>>

I was being sarcastic.  The key here is lending itself to roleplaying and
interesting characters.
Although, I didn't mention it the way I used these disadvantages in my
campaign is I allowed the players to create two characters.  One was their
true character the other was their "Justin" case character.   Their true
character could only take up to four points in disadvantages.  This was
rare, generally they held their characters down to 2 points of
disadvantages.  Now their "Justin" case character, the player generally
created or controlled but if they wanted diadvantages for this character
they were rolled for using a chart much like Dave and Michael created
(although theirs are much better).  They were called "Justin" case
characters because they were player controlled NPC's.
If their true character died, which happened, this "Justin" case character
became their true character.  Later they could make up another true or
"Justin" case character if they wanted to replae the one they had lost.