RE: (TFT) Ax/Mace v. Sword

Actually, the *spear* (or, for cavalry, the lance) was the most common and
important weapon, with swords/axes/maces employed as second tier weapons for
when the organised formation broke down into individual melees, or as a
backup if the spear broke. Even the Samurai only used their overrated
Katanas as a last ditch weapon after the Yari and Naginata.

As armour became heavier, not only did "mass" weapons (maces, battleaxes,
warhammers) become more common, but so did polearms (halberds, etc.)
Halberds in particular do a lot more damage then either TFT or D&D give them
credit for.

Though a sword could indeed penetrate a breast plate (12th century art
depicts knights splitting enemy's great helms with long swords) it was much
more effective to use a mass weapon or pole arm to do the job.

Basically, swords are fine up to opponents equipped with maille; as the
armour gets heavier (lorica segmentatae up to full plate) it becomes
increasingly more appropiate to sacrifice the speed and handling of a sword
for the increased striking power of a good warhammer or pole weapon.