Re: (TFT) The physics of charging with pole arms

Grabowski wrote:
>>  The first character starts one hex away from
>>the spearman and in his turn runs directly away from him at
>>full MA.  The spearman charges after the first character and
>> hits with the spear.  Now here's my question, realistically
>>(think physics) should this spearman be able to do double
>>damage????

Nope.  The doubling is rarely really justified.  This came up
before on the list; my solution has been to give charging
polearms a flat addition to damage based on the speed of the
charger instead of the doubling.  Really, as you point out,
it should be based on the relative speed of the two parties,
not just the speed of one of them.

>>Also related to what Stan stated about dodging aside.  >>Halberdiers/pikeman and two-handed swordsman worked
>>together in formations.  The two handed swordsman's
>>were trained to break the haft of any polearms that
>>attacked the formation.  Perhaps a talent???

Perhaps, perhaps.  Maybe it could be added to the
talent that allows you to trip the opponent with a
polearm.  But I don't know...I thought this tactic
was mainly used against pikes, not swinging/bashing
polearms.  An 18' pike is a much easier target than
a halberd some lunatic is swinging around.

My 2 cents.