(TFT) Traveller

My gaming group still plays games set in the Traveller campaign we had in high school. The campaign is about 25 years old. Things have deviated a bit from the standard rules. At first, races like the Vargyr and Zhodani were not well described in the rules, so my friends made up their own. When books describing these races did come out, we liked ours better. The Imperium was overthrown by powerful player characters, though a remnant survives.

We did a superhero campaign with Classic Traveller rules for years. You can do that if you care more about role playing than rules and everyone can be reasonable. The rules for super powers are: describe your character's powers to the GM and he'll decide if it's reasonable.

--Scott